Minute Notes 2018

Minute Notes - March 29, 2018 - 5pm EST

Attending: Josh, Sam, Mike, Gabe

Minutes by Sam

National Barista Comp. & Beanstock

  • Sam site visit to Quantum on March 29th for Aeropress Competition. Quantum will look into seeing if the study room and patio is free on May 25th. They’re open to closing the cafe down early for the event.

  • Mike to touch base with Adam about the Educational aspect of the weekend

  • Adam, Josh & Jen to talk about sponsorship & finances; rely in Gabe when ready to create a sponsorship package

 

Brewer’s Cup & Cup Tasters

  • Ideas for winners since SCA will not be sending a representative to Worlds:

    • SCA organizes origin trips - so SCA Canada can potentially do the same to send Brewers Cup and Cup Tasters winners to the trip

    • Give money to winners to Brewers Cup and Cup Tasters

 

East Qualifier Barista Competition

  • Josh communicated to East Qualifier Barista Competitors

  • Graham would like to get the 4th place plaque - Sam to facilitate the plaque change

  • 18 competitors invited to compete in Nationals; if more than 2 drops out SCA will only open spots to fill in 16 slots

  • Sam to follow up with Cliff about East Qualifier outstandings

 

SCA Communication

  • Communicate to qualifying competitors with updates along the way

  • Adam to send Gabe SCA profiles/PW and pass off any Marketing & Communication information

  • Put out a call for competitors & judges, sponsors, hosts for Brewers Cup & Cup Tasters

  • Communicate:

    • Subcommittee form

    • Brewers Cup & Cup Tasters will not happen in May

Next Meeting: April 5th, 5pm EST

Minute Notes - March 22, 2018 - 5pm EST

Attending: Josh, Sam, Adam, Mike, Jen

Minutes by Mike

Recap of EQBC

  • There were many issues, but the competition happened.
  • The espresso machines arrived 1 day late, which made the setup very stressful. It is not always possible to have machines shipped earlier because that means machines need to be stored offsite and then transported.
  • One lesson is that SCA Canada need to clearly define expectations for roles. For example:
    • Machine sponsor- be on site the entire time of practice and competition, understand the electronics of the machine, etc.
    • Event manager- be on site the entire time of practice and competition, delegate tasks to others, etc.
    • Station maintenance- keep track of grinder movement from station to station, monitor issues with grinders, etc.
  • SCA Canada need to define a screening process to hosts and explain up front that the host needs to communicate to the National Committee frequently. Also, the National Committee needs to be more hands on with checking in and mentoring in advance of the event.
  • There was an error with tabulating the scores of all competitors, and Josh will send a message to all competitors explaining the error.

Sponsors

  • Included with the National Sponsorship package, SCA Canada need to define expectations of the sponsors and include vetting of sponsors.

Nationals

  • National Coordinators were sceptical of their ability to run the Cup Tasters and Brewers Cup Championships at the same time as the Barista Championship. Even though a vote was done previously to have Cup Tasters Championship along with Barista Championship, SCA Canada felt like it would be advantageous to run Cup Tasters and Brewers Cup at the same event.
  • A vote was passed with 4 of 5 votes to run Cup Tasters and Brewers Cup Championships at a later date.

Marketing and Communications Coordinator

  • 4 applications came in.
  • Adam will forward the applications to National Coordinators and a vote will take place via text on the 23rd.

Finances

  • Communication needs to be made to Jen in advance of the events so that planning can be made.
  • Guidelines need to be set for typical items such as food, etc.
  • Sponsors need to pay before the event happens.
  • Focus on yearlong National Sponsors.

Next Meeting: March 29th, 5pm EST

Minute Notes - March 8, 2018 - 5pm EST

Attending: Josh, Sam, Adam, Mike, Jen

Minutes by Jen

Ottawa Eastern Regional:

  • Equipment from ECM is on its way to Bridgehead
  • Dalla Corte shiping tables
  • Gabriel may be able to help with coordination. Wes and Adam can also help.
  • Josh handle communications
  • Need to talk to the venue people, and order water.
  • Zuccarini and Christina will be there at 8am on the 15th
  • Jen will send a list of previous roaster sponsors from the East
  • Little Victories to host a party on Thursday night

Nationals:

  • Sam is doing a site visit March 9th with Grant
  • There will be a volunteer call out next Tuesday at Boxcar Social - cancelled
  • AeroPress competition and Barista Competition in one venue? Application is being submitted
  • Hario x Eight Ounce hosted after party
  • Debated having Brewers Cup and Cup Tasters on the same weekend. Decided to just have cup tasters as it is easier to organize. Adam will call out for volunteers to organize it. No Brewers Cup this year - tentative
  • No one has come forward about the marketing position yet. We need to reach out to those who might be interested. The deadline will be extended if need be.

Next Thursday's conference call to be skipped, next meeting will be the 22nd.